Carrying on with my look at the Cephalyx models, this time the leader of all the Dominator. An unusal model as he is a Ranking Officer that opens up any (small/medium) non-cephalyx unit into a Cephalyx list
Like the other Cephalyx you come across they can hit reasonable well and their DEF is ok but they suffer the low ARM and the weapons wont scratch much thankfully they do have Anatomical Precision as well.
They Grant some nice abilities to the unit they take over (lets face it, they aint using strong character and leadership to move the unit around) with both Fearless and Tough being excellent abilities to hand out to any of the Merc units. To add to the survivability of the Dominator you also get Sacrificial Pawn as well which should help protect him as when he dies it isn’t good for you.
He is the Linchpin which means if he is killed then the unit loses fearless for a turn AND will immediately flee. I really like this rule as it is a great fluffy rule as the controller dies the unit suddenly ‘wakes up’.
So out of the box which units will help bring something to the Cephalyx that they don’t already have (we can ignore Cavalry as they aren’t allowed anyway). There are a lot of units so bear with me;
- Press Gangers – They bring some advance deployment and range attacks to the army and will benefit from fearless but they already have tough.
- Sea Dog Boarding Crew – As the Pressgangers, they bring range threat and enjoy being under control for the tough and fearless. They need some help so you will probably be looking at using their UA (Mr. Walls) and WA (Rifleman)
- Sea Dog Deck Gun – Cheap long range gun but there is a slightly better option elsewhere.
- Lady Aiyanna & Master Holt – They have a great boost to damage through the Lady and Holt adds some range however with all the other Cephalyx sprays they don’t need to worry about magic weapons.
- Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps & UA – Will grant plenty of shooting with the UA around, they can also be surprisingly quick as well.
- Horgenhold Artillery Corps – Huge range on the gun and nice damage output, the point difference between this and the SD deck gun is probably worth it.
- Horgenhold Forge Guard – Weapon masters which will love the tough and fearless, just a shame they are pretty slow.
- Ogrun Assault Corps – They have range attack plus assault ability as well as. Plus they are medium bases, so ok blockers.
- Tactical Arcanist Corps – They bring some cloud effects to hide crucial models (like Thexus) but also everyone loves fire.
- Herne & Jonne – Lots of AoE shooting fun.
- Precursor Knights & UA – Shield wall and pseudo- weapon master as well. They also ignore DEF/ARM buffs
- Steelhead Halberdiers – They bring Reach but apart from that not much else they are another cheap unit.
- Steelhead Riflemen – Having CRAs that can be rerolled make them dangerous.
- Alexia Ciannor & the Risen – Lots and lots of chaff, really goes for the attrition list type.
- Captain Sam MacHorne & the Devil Dogs – They bring some knock down and additional damage against beasts/jacks, so tough and fearless will be very good for them, to get in.
- Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters - The bring CRA with hunter as well as weapon masters when you need it. The low ARM means both tough and fearless help loads.
- Dannon Blythe & Bull, The Bounty Hunters – They bring ability to have Prey in the list but not much else.
- Greygore Boomhowler & Co. – They are already rocking the (super) tough but fearless is great. They are also great trample blockers.
- Kayazy Assassins & UA – They bring Backstab and gang, while the UA helps with kill stroke. But like the Eliminators it’s the Dominator keeping up.
- Kayazy Eliminators – Fast and Stealthy already so the additional bonuses are great, just difficult for the Dominator to keep up.
- Croe’s Cutthroats – poison, back stab and bushwhack; Plus the benefit a lot from the tough and fearless.
So what is best for the Cephalyx to take bearing in mind they can only take 1 unit, 2 if you go tier with Thexus. At the moment I am liking the look of Croe’s Cutthroats as with poison and backstab on all their attacks with the manipulation of Thexus it could be a match made in heaven, especially against hordes. The Forge Guard with their weapon masters could be nasty, especially as he can protect them a little from shooting and helps with their slowness as he can bring enemies to them.
For a hard to shift unit I could see Boomhowlers being great at this as their built-in super tough and then fearless as well is a nice combo. Tactical Arcanist Corps with their clouds will also be very handy with keeping Thexus well hidden, well except against Legion. Then there is obviously the Nyss hunters that gain a lot from the Dominator and make them a little more scary.