Soapy Bearbox Review – Carnosaur

Its been a while but here is a new Soapy Bearbox guest post. This time it is a review of the Lizardmen Carnosuar! So a big thank you to Gary (aka twitter and Nottingham Forest fan (someone has to 😉 ) @reddoggaz) for taking the time to have a go.
The Making of A Carnosaur

Having mentioned on Twitter that I was the proud owner of the new Lizardmen “Kroq Gar on Carnosaur” model, the Bear asked if I would write a guest piece on the making of it.

Carni

That was some time ago, at which point I didn’t feel I could refuse (Who wants to have an angry bear knocking on their doorstep? (Dam Right-doc)). Well real life got in the way, but rather belatedly here it is:

First of all I should say a little about myself, background etc so you, dear reader, can put my comments into context.

I’ve played wargames for almost as long as I can remember (I’m old enough to remember Warhammer Fantasy when the rules were in three volumes, all pics were pen & ink drawings.

I still have the rules (wonder if their worth anything?).

Although I hadn’t played WFB for over 20 years I still had quite a few metal figures, and with my youngest son getting into WFB and 40k through school I have rediscovered the joys of the Warhammer world.. However, I may have made my fair share of kits when I was young, I have never been one to customise them, simply sticking to the instructions is good enough for me. Therefore I would call myself a novice model maker.

Having ripped off the shrink-wrap with childish glee I was faced with the following sprues:

Carni2

Not too bad I felt, and the instructions seem to be clear enough, with pictures of what appear to be computer rendered images of the model (This is something all new GW kits are using, I can confirm after the novel I had to read for a Friends Riptide – Doc).

Carni3

So with modelling knife and glue at the ready, battle commenced…

The figure parts are clearly labelled and the instructions are easy to follow. Having made the limbs and body (without the back ridges – More on that later), and glued those together, the model looks like this:

Carni4

Carni5

As you can see, there is a gaping hole where the head will go. I had considered seeing if it was possible to mix the head of the Carnosaur with the Troglodon via magnets. However given the hole above, I discounted this. A more competent model maker may well be able to do so, but not this novice.

The other issues about swapping heads on the figure, is that it ignores the Trog’s spinal sail and different rider. If you can manage that, you’re a better man than me Gungadin!

Back to the model – This had gone together nicely, and from my perspective I didn’t have any issues with mould lines etc

The head was made next, with the spinal ridges being added after.

It was here that I met a couple of small issues.

  1. The head was not quite an exact fit for the body, leaving a small gap down one side. Easily fixed, but as I was asked for a warts and all review, I’ll mention it.
  2. The second was the fitting of the spinal ridges. The instructions show them being fitted from the head end towards to the tail. Personally I felt it was better to do this in reverse. Additionally, the fitting of the pieces towards the head was a bit of a squeeze, but easily fixed with a small amount of pressure while the glue set.

I would say that both of these issues could easily be down to me and my lack of model making skill. If you make your own, then you can confirm or refute the above.

Lastly the rider. Like the rest of the model, this fitted together nicely.

Once glued in place, I was surprised at the scale of the thing. This pic shows it next to a standard Lizardman warrior:

Carni6

This brings me to the last point – Basing.

I stuck this down with pretty standard superglue I have heard about fancy things such as “pinning”, but this numpty only has glue to use and it worked fine

One other thing, the model comes with four small square bases, and the instructions imply that you can make a standing lizardmen. This is NOT the case. There are insufficient parts in the kit to make any infantry figures (EDIT: Just to point out there are saurus legs so you can have a Scar-vet on foot if you had built the Troglodon – Doc)..

My conclusion:

A nicely made and easily constructed model. Unfortunately I feel that opportunities to swap details such as the head to make it a Troglodon, are very limited if not impossible.

Given the price of the kit, I don’t think that that would have been too much to ask from GW. But then again this is GW we are talking about!

Finally, I can’t wait to get this painted up and on the table, although I guess it will be a magnet for every thing to shot missile and magic at.

Thanks again to Gary for this review, It is certainly a beast of a model!

Advertisements

4 comments on “Soapy Bearbox Review – Carnosaur

  1. Oh this actually looks like a beautiful if not complicated kit – or at least the photos of the sprues scared me a little with so many pieces for a single model. But wow did it come out nice and seamless looking! Thanks for the review!

  2. It’s actually pretty easy to do the head-swap. I didnt even need magnets on mine, there are two small bumps on the inside of each neck that keep it quite snug. I built it the day lizards came out and she’s fully painted and seen hard use in my current campaign and i’ve had 0 problems.

Discuss awaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s